WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS
FOR THE 2018 USA EISENHOWER FELLOWSHIP
- USA Eisenhower Fellowship: Nine candidates are awarded a five-week fellowship and typically visit one or two countries in the EF network.
- EF Agriculture Program: EF’s Agricultural Committee selects one Fellow each year -- an active farmer or rancher -- to visit one or two countries in the EF network.
To hear an overview of the program and information on applying, you can listen to a recent webinar held in April 2017 hosted by program staff:
Candidates for a USA Eisenhower Fellowship must be U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents. Competitive applicants generally fall within the age range of approximately 32 to 45 years old, as this is a fellowship aimed at ascendant mid-career professionals, not students or full-time academics. While we do consider candidates who are older or younger than this, the farther your age falls outside of this age range, the less competitive your application will be.
Before applying all candidates should consider carefully whether their professional and personal circumstances will allow them to participate in an intensive, five-week international fellowship. Beginning a few months prior to travel, Eisenhower Fellows must devote significant time to researching and preparing for their fellowship with an EF program team. All fellowship travel must take place within the calendar year of the fellowship for which Fellows are chosen (between January 1 and December 31, 2018). We do not permit deferrals to the following calendar year.
USA Fellows are able to decide the timing and their destination country or countries in consultation with EF staff in Philadelphia and EF country partners. We suggest that candidates consider and present more than one option for their fellowship travels, as first-choice destination(s) are not always feasible given the timing and other institutional considerations.
Successful candidates typically display the following characteristics in their applications:
- demonstrate not only significant accomplishments within their communities and their professions but also high potential for growth and broader impact;
- propose a compelling fellowship program that takes full advantage of this unique opportunity;
- identify a project or initiative they intend to develop during the fellowship and are able to articulate how this experience will help them meet that goal and create positive impact; and
- commit to engage actively with the global Eisenhower Fellowship network throughout their lifetime.
THE 2018 APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS
For the 2018 USA Fellowship, all candidates must submit their applications through the online application. Applications are due by 12:00am EST on June 2, 2017 without exception. To use the online application you will need to register using your email address and choose a password. You will be able to save an application in progress and complete/submit at a later time. A Word version is available for you to work on offline at your convenience.
Candidates who are selected as finalists will be invited for an interview with an EF selection committee in July and August 2017. The interviews are being held in St. Louis, MO; San Francisco, CA; Chicago, IL; Raleigh, NC; Boston, MA; Los Angeles, CA; and Philadelphia, PA. You will be invited to interview with the committee in the city closest to where you live. In-person interviews are required and cannot be done via Skype or telephone. (The dates are listed below.) If you cannot make the in-person interview on the day scheduled for you at the nearest location, you can try and reschedule your interview for another location - but only in exceptional circumstances. In this case, you are required to pay for your own travel expenses.
Selection timeline for the 2018 USA Fellowships:
- March to June 2, 2017: Applications accepted via online portal on a rolling basis
- June 3 to July 15, 2017: First-round phone interviews with selected candidates
- July 15 to September 1, 2017: Finalists invited to in-person interviews with one of the seven USA selection committees: Philadelphia, Raleigh-Durham, Boston, Chicago, St. Louis, Los Angeles or San Francisco. All economy-class roundtrip transportation and hotel (one night, if necessary) are covered by EF (unless you have rescheduled to another, more distant location). As interview dates are confirmed, they will be added to the list below, so please check this page periodically for updates.
* Los Angeles, CA: Monday, July 17 between 9a-11a in West Los Angeles
* Raleigh-Durham, NC: Monday, July 31 between 10a-3p in Research Triangle Park
* Philadelphia, PA: Thursday, August 3 between 10a-4p at Eisenhower Fellowships (for national candidates located outside of an EF hub - usually candidates from Washington, DC; south/southwestern U.S. including Texas; New York City)
* St. Louis, MO: Tuesday, August 8 between 1-4p at Washington University in St. Louis
* Philadelphia, PA : Thursday, August 10 between 10a-1p at Eisenhower Fellowships (for Philadelphia-based candidates)
* Boston, MA: Tuesday, August 15 between 10a-2p at Harvard University
* San Francisco, CA: Wednesday, August 16 between 12-4p in downtown SF
- September 15 (or thereabouts): 2018 USA Eisenhower Fellows notified of their selection
2017 FELLOWSHIP MANUAL
For a more detailed understanding of the planning process for an Eisenhower Fellowship and our official policies, take a look at the 2017 USA Fellowship Manual. Please note that all policies and procedures are subject to change.