The 2019 USA Fellowship application is closed. Please check this webpage in April 2019 for details on the 2020 recruitment.
- USA Eisenhower Fellowship: Typically, nine candidates are awarded a five-week fellowship and typically visit one or two countries in the EF network.
- EF Agriculture Program: EF’s Agricultural Committee typically selects one Fellow each year -- an active farmer or rancher -- to visit one or two countries in the EF network.
If you are interested in the Zhi-Xing China Eisenhower Fellowship, please note that this program has a different application process and timeline. Click here to read more and/or apply to this separate program.
Candidates for a USA Eisenhower Fellowship must be U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents. Competitive applicants generally fall within the age range of approximately 32 to 45 years old, as this is a fellowship aimed at ascendant mid-career professionals, not students or full-time academics. While we do consider candidates who are older or younger than this, the farther your age falls outside of this age range, the less competitive your application will be.
Before applying all candidates should consider carefully whether their professional and personal circumstances will allow them to participate in an intensive, five-week international fellowship. Beginning a few months prior to travel, Eisenhower Fellows must devote significant time to researching and preparing for their fellowship with an EF program team. All fellowship travel must take place within the calendar year of the fellowship for which Fellows are chosen. We do not permit deferrals to the following calendar year.
USA Fellows are able to decide the timing and their destination country or countries in consultation with EF staff in Philadelphia and EF country partners. We suggest that candidates consider and present more than one option for their fellowship travels, as first-choice destination(s) are not always feasible given the timing and other institutional considerations.
Successful candidates typically display the following characteristics in their applications:
- demonstrate not only significant accomplishments within their communities and their professions but also high potential for growth and broader impact;
- propose a compelling fellowship program that takes full advantage of this unique opportunity;
- identify a project or initiative they intend to develop during the fellowship and are able to articulate how this experience will help them meet that goal and create positive impact; and
- commit to engage actively with the global Eisenhower Fellowship network throughout their lifetime.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION
The 2019 USA Fellowship application is closed. Please check this webpage in April 2019 for details on the 2020 recruitment. If you applied for the 2019 USA Fellowship, please review the information below.
Candidates who are selected as finalists will be invited for an interview with an EF selection committee. The list of interview cities and corresponding dates are below. You will be invited to interview with the committee in the city closest to where you live. In-person interviews are required and cannot be done via Skype or telephone (dates are listed below). If you cannot make the in-person interview on the day scheduled for you at the nearest location, you can try and reschedule your interview for another location - but only in exceptional circumstances. In this case, you are required to pay for your own travel expenses.
Selection decisions will be announced in October 2018.
Selection timeline for the 2019 USA Fellowships:
• March to June 1, 2018: Applications accepted via online portal on a rolling basis
• June 4 to July 15, 2018: First-round phone interviews with selected candidates
• July 15 to September 1, 2018: Finalists invited to in-person interviews with one of the seven USA selection committees (listed below) based upon your home location. All economy-class roundtrip transportation and hotel (one night, if necessary) are covered by EF. Please be sure to hold the date closest to your home city on your calendar as your interview will be scheduled at this location.
* Los Angeles: Tuesday, July 10 (afternoon)
* St. Louis: Monday, July 23 between 2-5p
* Philadelphia: Tuesday, July 31 (morning) (for Philadelphia-based candidates)
* Philadelphia: Thursday, August 2 (morning) (for national candidates located outside of an EF hub - usually candidates from Washington, DC; south/southwestern U.S.; New York City)
* San Francisco: Tuesday, August 7 (morning)
* Raleigh-Durham: Wednesday, August 29
* Chicago: Friday, September 14 (morning)
* Boston: Tuesday, September 25 (afternoon)
• October 1 (or thereabouts): 2019 USA Eisenhower Fellows notified of their selection