THE APPLICATION FOR THE 2020 USA FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM IS CLOSED. If you applied for this program, please review the information below.
- USA Eisenhower Fellowship: Typically, ten to twelve candidates are awarded a four to five-week fellowship and typically visit one or two countries in the EF network.
- EF Agriculture Program: EF’s Agricultural Committee typically selects one Fellow each year -- an active farmer or rancher -- to visit one or two countries in the EF network. PLEASE NOTE: if you applied for the 2020 Agriculture Program, you will be contacted by EF staff by the end of October.
Candidates for a USA Eisenhower Fellowship must be U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents. Competitive applicants generally fall within the age range of approximately 32 to 45 years old, as this is a fellowship aimed at ascendant mid-career professionals, not students or full-time academics. While we do consider candidates who are older or younger than this, the farther your age falls outside of this age range, the less competitive your application will be.
Before applying all candidates should consider carefully whether their professional and personal circumstances will allow them to participate in an intensive, four to five-week international fellowship. Beginning a few months prior to travel, Eisenhower Fellows must devote significant time to researching and preparing for their fellowship with an EF program team. All fellowship travel must take place within the calendar year of the fellowship for which Fellows are chosen. We do not permit deferrals to the following calendar year.
USA Fellows are able to decide the timing and their destination country or countries in consultation with EF staff in Philadelphia and EF country partners. We suggest that candidates consider and present more than one option for their fellowship travels, as first-choice destination(s) are not always feasible given the timing and other institutional considerations.
Successful candidates typically display the following characteristics in their applications:
- demonstrate not only significant accomplishments within their communities and their professions but also high potential for growth and broader impact;
- propose a compelling fellowship program that takes full advantage of this unique opportunity;
- identify a project or initiative they intend to develop during the fellowship and are able to articulate how this experience will help them meet that goal and create positive impact; and
- commit to engage actively with the global Eisenhower Fellowship network throughout their lifetime.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION
Please review the information below as it is essential to your application process and consideration.
Candidates who are selected as finalists will be invited for an interview with an EF selection committee. The list of interview cities and corresponding dates are below. If selected as a finalist, you will be invited to interview with the committee in the city closest to where you live. In-person interviews are required and cannot be done via phone. Should exceptional circumstances prohibit you from interviewing on the day scheduled for you at the nearest location, EF staff will try to reschedule your interview for another location. In this case, you are required to pay for your own travel expenses. If you are unsure of what your interview date would be, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm. Selection decisions will be announced in November 2019.
Selection timeline for the 2020 USA Fellowship:
March 25 to July 1, 2019: Applications accepted via online portal
July 1 to August 30, 2019: First-round phone interviews with selected USA candidates
August to October 1, 2019: Finalists invited to in-person interviews in one of the eight USA hubs (listed below) based upon your home location. All economy-class roundtrip transportation and hotel (one night, if necessary) are covered by EF. Please be sure to hold the date closest to your home city on your calendar as your interview will be scheduled at this location.
* San Francisco: Friday, August 2
* Philadelphia (National): Tuesday, August 6 (for national candidates located outside of an EF hub (usually candidates from Washington, DC; south/southwestern U.S.; New York City)
* Philadelphia: Thursday, August 8 (for Philadelphia-based candidates)
* St. Louis: Friday, August 16
* Boston: Tuesday, August 20
* Raleigh-Durham: Wednesday, August 21
* Los Angeles: Thursday, September 12
* Chicago: Monday, September 16
* Miami: Monday, September 23
PLEASE NOTE: if you applied for the 2020 Agriculture Program, you will be contacted by EF staff by the end of October.
For a more detailed understanding of the planning process for an Eisenhower Fellowship and our official policies, take a look at the 2019 USA Fellowship Manual. Please note that all policies and procedures are subject to change.