click here to apply for the 2019 zhi-xing china eisenhower fellowship.
If you are interested in our program, please read all of the information on this page carefully. We also recommend that you read our Guidelines for Applying to the Zhi-Xing China Eisenhower Fellowship.
The Zhi-Xing (知 行, “learning and travel”) Fellowship is a four-week professional and leadership development program that brings approximately 10 mid-career U.S. leaders to China. The fellowship features intensive cultural immersion, group sessions with Chinese and U.S. experts and two weeks of individually-tailored travel and meetings in four to six Chinese cities around the country.
The fellowship is supported by China's Ministry of Education and overseen by its international exchange & cooperation agency, the China Education Association for International Exchange (CEAIE). The Zhi-Xing program has its genesis in the annual talk on People-to-People Exchange between the United States government and China. The fellowship is designed to advance greater understanding between the people of the two nations. Launched in 2015, CEAIE and Eisenhower Fellowships (EF) work in partnership to design and implement this fellowship as a component of EF's USA Programs.
ELIGIBILITY AND SELECTION CRITERIA
Candidates must be U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents. Competitive applicants generally fall within the age range of approximately 32 to 45 years old, as this is a fellowship aimed at ascendant mid-career professionals, not students or full-time academics. While we do consider candidates who are older or younger than this, the farther your age falls outside of this age range, the less competitive your application will be.
Before applying, all candidates should consider carefully whether their professional and personal circumstances will allow them to participate in an intensive, four-week fellowship in China. Beginning a couple months prior to travel, Eisenhower Fellows must devote significant time to researching and preparing for their fellowship. All fellowship travel must take place with the group during the month of June. Deferrals until the following year are not allowed.
Successful candidates typically display the following characteristics in their applications:
- demonstrate not only significant accomplishments within their communities and their professions but also high potential for growth and broader impact;
- propose a compelling fellowship program that takes full advantage of this unique opportunity;
- identify a project or initiative they intend to develop during the fellowship and are able to articulate how this experience will help them meet that goal and create positive impact; and
- commit to engage actively with the global Eisenhower Fellowship network throughout their lifetime.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION
For the 2019 Zhi-Xing China Eisenhower Fellowship, all candidates must submit their applications through the online application. Applications are due by 11:59PM ET on September 14, 2018 without exception. To use the online application you will need to register using your email address and choose a password. You will be able to save an application in progress and complete/submit at a later time. A Word version is available for you to work on offline at your convenience.
Candidates who are selected as finalists will be invited for an in-person interview in Philadelphia on November 7 or 8, 2018. In-person interviews are required and cannot be done via Skype or telephone. If you cannot make the in-person interview during the scheduled dates, you cannot be considered for the program.
Selection decisions will be announced in January 2019.
Selection timeline for the 2019 Zhi-Xing China Eisenhower Fellowship:
• June 1 to September 14, 2018: Applications accepted via online portal on a rolling basis
• September 14 to October 31, 2018: First-round phone interviews with selected candidates
• November 7-8, 2018: Finalists invited to in-person interviews in Philadelphia. All economy-class roundtrip transportation and hotel (one night, if necessary) are covered by EF. Please be sure to hold the date on your calendar. If you cannot attend the interview in person, you cannot be considered for the program.
• January 31, 2019 (or thereabouts): 2019 Zhi-Xing China Eisenhower Fellows notified of their selection
For a more detailed understanding of the planning process for an Eisenhower Fellowship and our official policies, take a look at the 2018 Zhi-Xing China Eisenhower Fellowship Manual. Please note that these policies are subject to change.